Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Former Timmins man wins big in Europe

A 22-year Timmins native has won big playing poker.
Glen Chorny won more than 2 million euros (C$3.2 million) last week with the winning hand in the Grand Final of the European Poker Tour.
Chorny, the son of Greg and Kathy Chorny, formerly of Timmins, won the tour at Monte Carlo’s Bay Hotel and Resort on Thursday.
Chorny won the pot with a pair of aces, playing Texas Hold ‘em, over Denes Kalo of Hungary, who held only a king-queen.
"It was tough out there, like a hard day at the office," Chorny said after the game. "Only the rewards are a lot better.”
In an e-mail note to The Timmins Times, Chorny who is enrolled as a business student at Wilfrid Laurier University, says he does not plan to go back to school right away
“I have one semester back in university whenever I want to finish it, but I plan on playing full time as there is too much too lose now by not playing,” he wrote.
He says he learned to play Texas Hold ‘em poker online when he was a teenager.
“Online poker really helped me learn the game fast,” he wrote .”I decided I could be profitable playing in these big live tourneys and knew I had the skills and thought process that would help me win,” he added.
Chorny left Timmins with his family in the early 1990s, when he was an elementary school student, and moved to Toronto.

No comments: